I realized I wrote this, but never published it back in January of this year. Better late than never, right?
January 25, 2015
Santa brought Abby two tickets to the NCSU vs. Syracuse Women’s Basketball game. I was her chosen partner in crime. We pulled out of our driveway at 9:45 this morning and arrived home around 10:15 tonight. All in all, I’d say we had a great time. Even when Abby drenched herself in tea at lunch because the valve/dispenser on the tea urn wasn’t tightened and she got a tea bath. And even after I lost it when she told me she didn’t actually bring a coat. (HELLO!?! It was snowing when we left the house.)
I can honestly say that I-90 in NY is very much like I-95 in SC…go as fast as you possibly can. And if you aren’t willing to do that, get the heck out of the way. Yet, we were late arriving to the game. Not terribly late, but late. Abby didn’t seem to mind and she was thrilled with her courtside seats. We enjoyed being up at half-time (and never again for the remainder of the game).
Some things I learned during our trip…
- NY has Text Stops (parking areas along the interstate where you can legally text).
- NC could not survive with a major toll road (like the NY Thruway or the PA Turnpike) because all this little roadside stops would be completely missed. I mean, how would JR survive?
- Making plans anytime between Halloween and Easter in NW PA or Western NY is a roll of the dice. We were lucky with the weather, but it could have been much worse.
- Google Maps and Maps do not always agree. When in doubt, trust Google. Siri is a liar!
- I’m now committed to taking Abby to sporting events at as many colleges as we can between now and 2022 (high school graduation) and we will get her a t-shirt from every school. It may sound weird, but we can make a really awesome blanket as she goes to college with those t-shirts.
- Syracuse should be an overnight trip the next time I go
- We really do live that close to Canada
- The Carrier Dome is HUGE
I’m pretty sure we will continue to stalk the NC State Athletics site for opportunities to see our team compete all the way up here. Who knows? I may even learn to enjoy baseball.